Here are my TOP TEN things to hit if you only have a short time in Singapore…
DAY ONE: arrive late afternoon into Changi Airport and jump on the MRT to your downtown destination- clean, quick & notably the best public transportation in the world.
1. LITTLE INDIA- Check into the Wanderlust Hotel for your 2 night stay then explore this colorful neighborhood for dinner
2. GARDEN RHAPSODY: Supertree Grove– head downtown to the Gardens by the Bay to catch the nightly show put on at 7:45pm/8:45pm…if you happen to miss these times not to worry, the trees are still magical even without music.
3. RAFFLES HOTEL: SINGAPORE SLING– head on over to the historic Long Bar and grab this cities signature drink…in the words of Anthony Bourdain “No one in Singapore drinks Singapore slings. It’s a disgusting drink, don’t waste your time.” I can agree that it’s not my favorite concoction but the hotel is a must see and well…when in Rome.
DAY TWO: Purchase the Tourist Pass that will allow you unlimited rides on public transportation for the day…you need this- and good walking shoes.
4.HAJI LANE– this hidden alley way (MRT Stop: Bugis) is full of cute coffee shops & boutiques along with some of the best insta-worthy murals in the city.
5. GARDENS BY THE BAY- explore this 250acre park during the day- certain attractions require a fee such as the Flower Dome & Cloud Mountain but I recommend grabbing a ticket for the Supertree Sky Walk…the views are magnificent and it’s worth the price just for the breeze!
6. ART SCIENCE MUSEUM- time for some aircon! Check at time of travel for current Exhibitions but now showing is Future World…explore Nature, Town, Park & Space. Of course my favorite was Crystal Universe: 170,000 LED lights that give the illusion you are walking amongst the stars.
7. CHINATOWN- stroll through the street markets and stop by Buddha Tooth Relic Temple.
8. HAWKER CENTER- a quintessential dining experience in Singapore can be had at the many hawker centers around the city. I recommend Maxwell (across from the Temple) where you can dine on the national dish- Chicken Rice- among many other unique snacks at reasonable prices.
9. MICA BUILDING/CLARKE QUAY- now the Old Hill Street Police Station (MICA) is a fun photo stop with its rainbow shutters…nearby is the riverfront Clarke Quay with dinning/shops/galleries and boat tours.
10. BAYFRONT- end your final night with a cocktail at the Lighthouse bar located at the top of the Fullerton or dine waterfront at one of the many restaurants to get a front row view of the Spectra light show (8/9pm)
What are your favorite spots in Singapore? What did I miss so I know for next time?